Thursday, April 30, 2009

Inside Page


This is my inside page. I chose to keep it on the topic of entertainment in Athens. I wanted to put together something with a more dominant image, but couldn’t find one, so I put together a more traditional inside page-type layout with smaller photos and a text-heavy page. It could be based on any number of newspapers.

For the top-left story, I took a photo from the band’s Web site and placed it up top, basic stuff, the same way I used the photo on the opposite of the page and the story in the bottom-right corner. The pictures really stay in one place. I probably should have switched it up if just to add variety, but looking at it I don’t know what I would have done differently. I also wanted to put a photo with the story in the bottom-left, but couldn’t find a good one. I didn’t put a cutline with the photo in story two, but inserted a pull-quote directly under the photo to act as one. This identified the man in the photo and also got an awesome quote on the page that the reader would have otherwise had to flip for.

When we did the front page, I needed lines, so I put them in here. They keep the stories to themselves and also break up the headlines in the bottom half.

For that bottom half, I packaged the stories under “Dawgs in the Theatre.” One of the stories is about the UGA Theatre department’s staging of “The Changeling,” the other is about two UGA grads rebuilding the department at Piedmont College. For the second story, I used a photo from their Web site of the cast of one of their plays. It adds no real value to the story, the play isn’t mentioned, but it’s something visual, and I think just about any picture of humans can humanize a story.

Overall, I think the design is too simple. I was trying to go for something that was easy to follow, but I ended up at something boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.