
In designing my inside page, I first went through the master budget and picked which articles I wanted to do. I noticed, as did most of our class, that we had quite a few articles on animals around the city of Athens, so I thought it might be fun and cute to do an "Animals of Athens" page with some of the articles, as shown at left.
I first picked several different articles (about 4) to put on my page. But when I put them on the page originally, all of the pictures and text looked too cluttered. I then decided to take out a few of the articles and use bigger pictures instead.
I narrowed down my first choices by choosing the most dominant photos: the two pictured on my page at left. Although they are the same size, I like to think they work well together as a package. In this case, I don't think it was necessary to have a dominant element (one picture bigger than the other, for example). However, I found a really good example of a front page that does have a great dominant element here if you'd like to take a look.
As we had talked about in my lab, a package should not only have similar subjects, but should have a parallel appearance. I tried to make this happen in my inside page, and I think I succeeded all but the drop quote in the bottom article. I tried to put a drop quote in the top article as well, but I couldn't find one short enough that looked good, so decided to leave it out.
As far as the overall design itself goes, I liked the front page idea that our front page designer in our Tuesday lab had of making the page appear very clean in appearance with the use of rules. Thus, I tried using them in my inside page. I think it made the page appear cleaner and more clear to the viewer as to which articles go where.
For further viewing pleasure, here is a good website just to look at good newspaper designs.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.