utting together the front page and inside page for this class. I really enjoyed adding an artistic and colorful element to the page.Though the nameplate is what I favor most on the page, it is a bit deep, constricting what all can be done between the masthead and the bottom teases.
After our class decided on the publication’s name, The Scoop, I started brainstorming on graphic elements in the mast. I searched through several stock images of ice cream cones and scoops, but finally came upon the spoon full of whip cream and a cherry on top. It was just the creative aspect I was looking for.
I cut out the spoon and put it on a transparent background in Photoshop. I then imported the image to InDesign and played around with the text of the nameplate. I went through several trials on the placement and size of the text. I decided to follow the curve of the spoon and have the text curve down as well, substituting the cherry on the spoon for one of the O’s in Scoop.

After completing the elements of the masthead, I went on to decide what stories I wanted to feature on my front. I first chose stories with stronger art. And you can never go wrong with children and/or puppies, so I went with both.
I picked the story on the Eco-Reach group with the picture of children playing with frogs and the story on guide dogs on campus, featuring, well … a dog, for my dominant elements.
I also like the story on Zingo, a new company in Athens, but didn’t include the photo on front.
I jumped all three of the stories to my inside page, along with the Zingo image.
On the bottom of the page, I teased to two stories inside. I included stock image graphics to make the teases more appealing to the eye.
Inside, on page 2, I placed all three jumps as well as the story on internships. My dominant elements are the internship photo and the Zingo picture. I’ve balanced the page by putting the images on each side of the page, as well as inserting a pull-quote in the Eco-Reach jump, just to add another visual element to the page.
Perhaps I’m a bit biased as a designer for The Red & Black, however most of my design choices stemmed from my experience there. I treated the teases fairly similarly to the bottom teases on the R&B front.
For the masthead, I didn’t really refer to any specific publication; however I knew I wanted it to be a nontraditional nameplate. One that I really like is the mast for Flagpole. They make it a graphic element by carrying the image on front into the text of the nameplate, which I really admire from a design standpoint.
-Tahni Segars
I really like the nameplate too. It's definitely creative and adds a really cool twist to our class publication. I agree though that it might be a bit too big; when designing my front page, I had trouble working my stories and pictures in. The weather graphic is a nice touch that makes the front page look really professional, although I doubt you'd find such a thing on a tabloid (which I think our publication was supposed to be). In general, I think it's a really clean and readable page, and your experiences at the R&B really show.
ReplyDeleteThe same goes for the inside page. I think you have a great mixture of text and graphics, and it is all laid out very well, and the dividing lines do a good job in separating the stories.