Friday, March 6, 2009

Big Words

I tried to find an article about Soloski and maybe accuse someone at the AJC of libel, but I couldn't find anything because most of it was based on official documents and all the articles were about the charges being dropped and not about the actual accusation of sexual harrassment.

So, I want to write about the use of big words and photography on the front cover of today's Red & Black instead of any particular article. Hope that's OK.

The main feature picture on the front page of Courtney McCool, the UGA gymnast, displays several different features of a newspaper that we have discussed in class. The photograph uses the rule of thirds, as well as shows movement. The headline for the article "The 'McCool'" is also printed inside of the "blank space" at the top of the photograph. Something that Parks said most photographers would hate. I think it's interesting how the feature photo is also sort of a "how-to" that shows the "McCool" beam mount from start to finish, a photographic technique that probably required a little bit of Photoshop.

Printing in the black space of the phoo isn't something that I would usually consider doing, but I think it works here.

I like the headline "Look, Ma - No brakes!" for the story about the new fixed gear bike trend that is being seen both nationally and locally. The headline gives you an idea of what the article may be about, without repeating anything from the lead and leaving just enough mystery to intrigue the reader.

The photo for the local cooking story really makes me want to eat at Cali 'N Tito's. I guess that's what its supposed to do. It has good composition, with the cooks face in the top third of the photo and the food in the bottom third, only in the foreground of the photo to make it stand out.

Lastly, the three small photos at the bottom of the page correlate well to the stories they go with and I never ntoiced before, but I like that they have the weather high and low forcast for the day.

1 comment:

  1. I also paid special attention the the McCool centerpiece of the Red & Black. I work for the Red & Black and saw the initial stages of this centerpiece being put together. I made sure to check out the final product the next day in the newsstands. I think it's a pretty cool piece and I'm glad someone else noticed it as well.

    As far as the type on the photo illustration, I know the page designer asked the photographer if it was OK beforehand. I think this is an important factor in working in a newsroom today.

    For being in the communication field, sometimes we fail to communicate well with one another, especially when following deadlines and getting interviews. I think the collaboration between the designer and photographer works well with this piece.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.